Thursday, June 18, 2009

Voice Dial options for iPhone 3G

*** NEW LATE BREAKING NEWS - Proper Procedure for BlueAnt V1 @ v5.3 and iPhone G @ OS 3.0 ***

BlueAnt Tech support supplied me with a procedure, so I am paraphrasing below the procedure which has worked for me! (Kyle has described another method in the comments section below the post)

1) Put on the V1 then:

2) Ensure the V1 is in Idle mode - switched ON but not connected to any phone,

3) then click BAB - multi function button - and say “settings menu” then, “reset the V1”.

4) Then turn off the V1. (Good luck with this, I couldn't turn it off, but anyway...)

5) On the IPhone: remove the profile for the V1 on the IPhone by selecting “unpair”.

6) Then remove all numbers in favorites list and turn the IPhone Off and On (I did a hard-power off, that is top/sleep button and menu button at the same time, then slide to turn off)

7) Then pair the V1 with the IPhone and...

8) repopulate the favorites list.

...and Bob is your uncle.

So my original post below stands.

=> original post:

We all know this now, that the iPhone 3G does NOT do voice dial directly from the operating system, even with the new OS 3.0. This is a feature reserved only for the 3GS.

A quick key-word search will make this painfully clear, extremely painful in fact if you didn't have the foresight to check BEFORE you bought your iPhone 3G, which probably lead you here.

Despair not, there are some possibilities:

If it is illegal in your region to handle your phone while driving, like it is for me, I have found the following workaround, while incomplete, does the basics of what I need.

The BlueAnt V1 Voice Controlled Headset. It's not a cheap date though.

When pressing the BlueAnt button on the V1 it accesses the favourites list in the iPhone in the order they're laid out for its speed-dialling feature. Sort your 9 favourites in the proper order and Bob's your uncle. Like I said, this is enough for most of my calls, but there's no navigating through all your contacts.

Speed Dial slot #5, on the V1, is reserved for GOOG-411. So your favourite #5 becomes speed-dial slot #6. No biggy, just have to keep that in mind when putting the list in order.


Downloadable apps from iTunes (as of June 18th, 2009):

Keep in mind that all the apps suggested below require handling of the phone in order to dial, so no Bluetooth access. Personally I can't and won't use any of them while driving. Your own mileage may vary, so check your local laws, and sort out for yourself how dangerous you want to be when driving.

Fonix iSpeak - This one was recommended to me when I squeezed Rogers Wireless for a workaround to what I consider the no-voice dialling design flaw of the 3G.

There are also: Say Who LITE, Vlingo, Voice This from HRL, AdelaVoice Voice Dialer. There may be others.

I honestly had never even thought to check the iPhone for voice dialing capability; it just seemed so obvious a feature to have, but that is completely my bad. So I write this in the hope that I can help some of you out there who are frustrated with this, and maybe with themselves for not checking either.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

In the os 3.0 my speed dial function on my blueant v1 has stop to work. Wha can i do?

June 22, 2009 5:45 p.m.  
Blogger Steve said...

I've heard about this happening with older firmware of the V1. My 3G with OS 3.0 works fine with my V1.

You can try upgrading the firmware?

See about getting support from BlueAnt...
http://www.myblueant.com/faq_v1.htm#gen_08

Keep in mind I'm in no way affiliated with BlueAnt.

June 22, 2009 8:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Kyle said...

My BlueAnt V1 also quit working properly with the iphone 3G with the OS 3.0 upgrade. For example, it says "dialing speed dial 6" and then does nothing. Though "dial goog-411" actually does work. Somehow the V1 is able to send its own numbers, but won't trigger the iphone 3G favorites.

BlueAnt tech support e-mailed me and said "We have a team of technician working on a fix."

I'm surprised Steve's is working. I thought I had the latest firmware (5.4), and it's not working for me.

June 24, 2009 4:13 p.m.  
Blogger Steve said...

Well guys, it looks like the pain continues.

My V1 (Firmware 5.3) was working fine with OS 3.0 just after the upgrade, specifically last Friday. And now after I've done a sync, I'm getting the same problem as Kyle describes.

Woo-effing-hoo. I am simply loving my iPhone even more now.

June 25, 2009 1:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Kyle said...

I actually have firmware 5.3 too... my mistake. Hopefully BlueAnt will take care of this. I suppose the more of us that complain to tech support the better.

One interesting thing I didn't know about the V1 until the support guy told me... you can old down the "-" volume key, and the BlueAnt will ask you if you want to program the last number you received into one of the speed-dial slots. So, the V1 actually sends the number to the phone for it to dial when you want to call the number. Unfortunately, there is no way to program a number beyond storing the last one you received... so you have to build up your speed-dials as people call you. Strange work-around, but it works. Not nearly as nice as just dialing your favorites like before, though.

June 25, 2009 11:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Yuri said...

I have had the same problem since i upgraded my iPhone 3G to OS 3.0. However the instructions posted here worked for me even after the synch with iTunes.

One slight modification that I made:

I created a contact called Goog411 (I believe the name should not matter) and placed it in the 5th spot on my iPhone list of favorites (right after the V1 "call favorite" spot). Then I proceeded adding my favorites to positions for speed dial 6, 7, 8 and 9.

July 11, 2009 12:24 a.m.  
Blogger Vsurg said...

Agree with Yuri and I did the same (before I read his post!). Thanks for the advice.

August 06, 2009 6:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post you got here. It would be great to read more about that matter. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is some pictures of some devices.
Jeff Flouee
Phone jammer

February 02, 2010 11:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home