Friday, June 01, 2007

Flyer Without

Peeve du Jour.

For years, nay decades, the places where I lived all got local publicity flyers, but never the Canadian Tire weekly flyer. This is my favourite publication in all of the known universe. How joyful bliss and nirvana was achieved when I moved into this house, in which I am living currently. For years I relished that which I could not have before, the wonderful and weekly Canadian Tire flyer.

Low and behold, in the last month or two, the flyer is nowhere to be found. I am immediately thinking that my very beloved Canadian Tire is cutting back on its marketing budget, to my great chagrin. Then I house-sit for my good mate across town and there, right there, in the little enviro-unfriendly white plastic bag that serves as a reservoir to my shopping addiction, lives, nay EXISTS, an ever so beautiful Canadian Tire weekly flyer.

I steal it.

Then I get home and savour the inadequate descriptions, the lousy, but fully coloured images, the faked sales. I am in heaven once more.

But then I think.

Wait a rock-pickin’ minute, these bastards are still putting out the flyer, but not to my neighbourhood! What wrongs have I done? Which evil have I perpetrated to be so cursed? Why me, oh Lord of Marketing? Why am I being punished so cruelly? I have shopped, I have bought, I have returned. Why am I damned thus?

Then I think some more.

Uh oh.

I did, once long ago, enter my own postal code while browsing the Canadian Tire internet site! (Which site if fucking useless by the way.)

My money is on these fuckers not sending the paper flyer to those who have registered their postal code on the internet. My neighbourhood is one of professionals and mostly tech savvy folks, at least that’s my guess. I’m laying odds that we have been electronically damned by the flyer Gods.

Damn it all to hell, I am once again, to go without my weekly fix.

And they call this civilization? Pul-eeze!


NoA: Canadian Tire is an institution up here. Until recently, we didn’t have Pep Boys or NAPA, nor anything even remotely resembling an auto-parts stores. Although a typical Canadian Tire is more akin to a hardware & general store than a real auto parts, it is nevertheless the place where most of us get our replacement windshield wipers, headlights and flashers as well as patio furniture, garden hoses, snow shovels, etc. By the way, they do sell tires as well, almost as an afterthought.

2 Comments:

Blogger MedStudentWife said...

Gotta clarify the last comment :)

Thats what Fidel calls us folks (and I just LOVE Canuk Tire & Home Hardware - could spend hours in them looking at stuff)...

He should know as he's one & the worst, trust me - wonder if its'cause he's an engineer

June 02, 2007 3:14 p.m.  
Blogger Steve said...

I prefer the term "gear junky", but ok, I'll take it!

As for being an engineer, I really don't think it's a requirement, and I'll admit it's probably a liability. *large grin*

June 04, 2007 11:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home